- Review Coaching for Transformation: Transformational Coaching Skills on pages 36-43
- Just for fun, make a list of 100 empowering questions you might ask yourself. Create questions that cannot be answered by yes or no. Don’t edit the list, and create time so you can do them all in one sitting. No question is wrong. Just notice the process of creating the list for yourself.
- Differentiate between coaching skills
- Identify coaching strengths and areas for improvement
- Ask questions that reflect active listening and an understanding of the client’s perspective
- Ask open-ended questions that create greater clarity, possibility, or new learning
- Ask empowering questions that move the client towards what they desire, not questions that ask for the client to justify or go into their story
- Embody the mindset of coaching
Discussion and Activities
- Which two coaching skills would you most like to develop?
- Which two coaching skills do you already use well? And how can you develop them even further?
- Share your five favorite empowering questions. Expand your use of empowering questions by shortening your questions.
- Write at least five 3-word questions and five 1-word questions.
- What does it feel like in your body when you choose curiosity?